Tuesday 22 July 2008

Day 25: Death

Today we had an optional class about washing and burying the dead. It was for the Hanafis so I'll wait until they hold one for the Shafiis, but in the meantime I read the short book they were studying: What to do when a Muslim Dies.

Truly, the book, as short as it was, made me think. And particularly goosebump-inspiring for me was this:
"It is also recommended that those who are near the grave put three handfuls of dust on it, saying with the first: 'From it did We create you' with the second: 'To it shall We return you' and with the third: 'And from it shall We bring you forth another time.' [20:55]"
A few posts ago, I remember I talked about how Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) recommended that we mention death at least 20 times a day. In principle, it seems easy, but today when I remembered it just twice it was hard enough. The first time was in our Lives of Man class—today we finished the second stage of human life (this world), which ends with death. The second time was reading the book.

It seems morbid to tell yourself multiple times every day that one day you're going to be under the ground, all alone in the dark and being eaten by maggots, but in reality it's one of the best ways to force yourself into being 'good' and patient and content when you're not really feeling up to it. As Imam Al-Ghazali advises:
"Suppose that death is near and say to yourself: 'I shall endure the hardship today; perhaps I will die tonight,' and 'I shall be patient tonight; perhaps I shall die tomorrow."
Farshi al-turab (dust is my bed) is one of the best nasheeds I have ever listened to, speaking about death. Please watch it, it has English subtitles:




Subhan Allah it really makes me ashamed of myself. If someone tells you that you have 24 hours to live, what would you do in those 24 hours? Chances are, not what you do every day. So technically, that's what you should do every day—live each day as if it was your last. And remember that:
"Wheresoever you may be, death will overtake you even if you are in fortresses built up strong and high" An-Nisa 78.
It's strange, but that verse just reminded me of a story I read when I was a little girl and for some reason I've never forgotten—The Man who wanted to Live Forever. Basically, this is the story:
.
There was once a man who wanted to live for ever. He asked the oldest man in his city how to do so and was advised to go to the Old Man of the Forest.

So he went to the Old Man of the Forest and asked him how long he would live for. The Old Man of the Forest said "I will live until the last tree in this forest falls down." The man said that wasn't good enough for him so the Old Man of the Forest advised him to go to the Old Man of the Lake.

So the man went to the Old Man of the Lake and asked him how long he would live for. The Old Man of the Lake said "I will live until this entire lake dries up." The man said that wasn't good enough for him so the Old Man of the Lake advised him to go to the Old Man of the Mountain.

So the man went to the Old Man of the Mountain and asked him how long he would live for. The Old Man of the Mountain said "I will live until this mountain falls down." The man said that was good enough for him and decided to live with the Old Man of the Mountain.

Hundreds of years go by, and eventually the man feels nostalgic and wants to visit his home. The Old Man of the Mountain begs him not to go, telling him that everyone he loved had long died. The man insisted so the Old Man of the Mountain told him to go but to never get off his horse.

So the man goes back, finds out that everything has changed and eventually turns back to go home to the mountain.

On his way, he comes across an old man sitting next to an overturned wagon of shoes. He stops to help him and the old man comes closer to him and puts his hand on his arm.

The man feels a shiver go down his spine and looks at the old man. "Who are you?" he asks. The old man replies: "I am death, and these are the shoes I have worn out running after you."
.
It's strange that I've never forgotten that story. I even remember the last picture frame—the old man was dressed in a brown monk-like robe and his face was hidden like the Scream guy, with long wrinkled fingers.

So, on an even more cheerful note to end on, in Lives of Man, we are constantly reminded of the shortness of our lives, and even told that a poet once said:
"If a youth has nothing to boast of when he reaches twenty years, he'll never have anything to boast of."
Today's Quote: There's no shame in taking from the world, only in making it an obstacle between you and God. Only take from the world what you need but don't love it. Just like you need to go to the bathroom but you don’t love it. Habib Umar

Shoe stand in Dar al-Mustafa

No comments: